Thursday, February 17, 2011

Start Spreading the News.

 I finally told my oldest son that I am attracted to men. I just felt the need to tell him. He was awesome about the news. He said it made no difference in how he feels about me. He loves me very much and I will always be his Dad no matter what. I feel that we are closer now and it feels great.
I sent a text to my wife with the news. She said she felt like she was going to throw up. She wondered how my son took the news. Let's just say she now has someone else to talk to and it feels great f or her too.

7 comments:

ControllerOne said...

Very exciting. Regardless of how we approach our homosexuality, it just feels good to not have it be a big secret to those we are closest to doesn't it? Although it was forced on me, I had to confront this subject and more about my past at work. And, after the stress was over, it has since been nice to have the more authentic me out there to co-workers.

Good for you sir! And what a great boy you must have raised.

Bravone said...

I'm so happy for you. I have confided in all my children, and it has brought us closer than ever.

Miguel said...

I've always believed that if we have the kind of relationship where kids want to feel safe enough to come to us and confide then we should feel the exact same way, especially as they get older (they already know our vulnerabilities and flaws, they figure those out pretty fast) but it is important they know it is OK NOT to be super parent. Glad it was a positive experience for you and it will be for your wife down the road, she doesn't have to be in the closet with you either.
Hugs,Miguel

Beck said...

A similar discussion with my son is on the agenda for sometime next week... I hope to have similar results.

Thanks for sharing.

mandi said...

Are we going to get a chance to meet this summer? I just really have the urge to give you both a big hug

Jackdaw said...

I'm new to your blog so excuse my uninformed question: What's your son's age?

Bror said...

@Jackdaw, he is 22.